If you're looking at moving to a retirement village, it's important to know what questions to ask. Here are some things to think about to help understand what's important to you, so you can make the right decision for your future.
- Involve your friends and family in your decision.
- Get independent advice from a lawyer, ideally with experience in retirement village matters, or from these trusted sources.
- Make a list of things you’d like in your ideal village. Think about what your future needs might be, particularly when it comes to care and support.
- Visit different villages and compare what they offer.
- Can you move between villages if, at some point, you decide you'd like to move?
- Check that any pets you have are welcome in the village.
- Make sure that friends and family are welcome and can stay for periods of time.
- Find out whether or not you can add your own personal touches to your home.
- Ask your village operator for information around their resident satisfaction results.
- Talk to residents about what it’s like living in the village. At Summerset, you’re welcome to pop into one of our Divine Cafés for a chat over coffee.
- Check the village you're interested in is a registered member of the Retirement Village Association.
- Investigate the village's disaster policy to make sure you’re covered if a disaster affects your home or the village.
- Check that the village allows you to leave within a certain period if you're not happy and you can get your money back in full.
Download a copy of our Retirement Village Checklist